Social media threat sends Pine Prairie into lockdown

Image

Pine Prairie Elementary and High School were on lockdown Wednesday morning due to a threat made on social media. The threat was from a woman who accused a second grade teacher of being rude to her child. The woman made a Facebook post, threatening to beat up the teacher, who is pregnant. The woman is no longer allowed on campus. The woman caused a scene at the school office. The police were already present due to the threat made on Facebook.
Superintendent Darwan Lazard said, “It’s my understanding that the situation was resolved without incident. After a conference with the parent, the parent no longer has an issue with the school or the teacher.”
Some new teachers mentioned they were not given a guide book on what to do if there is a threat on campus. Lazard said, “My understanding is they were given an abbreviated guide the morning of the incident. Since then they have received the entire booklet they were supposed to receive. Before school started, on an in-service day, they were made aware of what the protocols were in case of a threat.” Lazard added, “We continue to want to work well with all the parents of Evangeline Parish.”